These bricks were pulled from the famous Morrill Hall that was stood on the campus of MSU from 1900-2013. Bricks are made of red sandstone from Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Each brick comes with a unique certificate of authenticity. Brick dimensions are: 4" wide x 8 1/4" long x 2 3/8" high.
In 1870 the first ten women students were admitted to Michigan Agricultural College. The college introduced a women's course to the curriculum in 1896 to help increase female enrollment. Women seized the opportunity for higher education and their number quickly exceeded the college's expectations. In 1899 the Legislature provided the funds for a new facility, the Women's Building. Constructed with a wooden frame and faced with red sandstone from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the building was state of the art for its day. It had living quarters for 120 women, as well as the matron and faculty. In addition there was a two-story gymnasium, a dining room on the third floor, cooking and sewing laboratories, a woodworking shop, and music rooms. Initially, the curriculum focused on graduating a farmer's wife who would be well prepared for running a farmhouse and other aspects of practical agriculture. Very quickly the women's curriculum changed to reflect the desires of the students. Women graduates of the college entered the workforce outside the home and became dietitians, high school teachers, chemists, milliners, florists and laboratory technicians.
Over time the number of women on campus soon approached that of men. This growth, combined with the expansion of women's courses of study, rendered the design of the Women's Building less useful. In 1937 a new women's dormitory, Sarah Langdon Williams Hall, was opened, enabling the college to remodel the Women's Building. The living quarters were removed, classrooms and laboratories were remodeled, and the building's name was changed to Justin Morrill Hall, honoring the sponsor of the Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1861. After the remodeling and renaming of the building it housed a wide variety of academic departments, ranging from the sciences and social sciences to the arts and humanities, and provided its students and faculty with fond memories of high ceilings, broad halls, handsome woodwork, and home for their intellectual lives at Michigan State.
All items are offered for sale on an as-is basis with no warranty or guarantee. All sales are final, and there are no returns. We employ due diligence to ensure accurate item descriptions are placed online and the MSU Surplus Store staff are available to answer questions with regards to condition and/or contents prior to purchase. Please Contact Us with any questions regarding item condition or contents of the listing.
Buyer is responsible for paying all related shipping and handling charges unless otherwise noted in the item description. Shipping costs are determined at checkout by zip code and by shipping method chosen. A nominal handling charge is included to cover the cost of packaging materials. If the buyer provides a PO Box, items are mailed through the U.S. Postal Service. Special shipping arrangements such as companies not listed, local pickup and freight services may be available upon request.
MSU Surplus Store ( www.msusurplusstore.com) ships to U.S. addresses only.