The original "MSC" smokestack at Michigan State University's Shaw Lane Power Plant was demolished in the summer of 2011. This beloved landmark was erected in 1952 and was in use, supplying energy to campus, until 1975 when the power plant could no longer keep up with demand. The letters "MSC" were embedded into the structure, prominently declaring the Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science.
As the smokestack was dismantled, a portion of the bricks were carefully preserved and left in their original condition. Some bricks still have fragments of mortar attached, just as they were when the smokestack stood sentry over campus. Each brick is a piece of Spartan History.
Your purchase include one brick with a numbered certificate of authenticity signed by Cynthia A. Ghering, Director of University Archives & Historical Collections at Michigan State University. Bricks vary in size and condition. In most cases mortar is still attached and small pieces may come loose in shipping.
All items are offered for sale on an as-is basis with no warranty or guarantee. All sales are final, and there are no returns. We employ due diligence to ensure accurate item descriptions are placed online and the MSU Surplus Store staff are available to answer questions with regards to condition and/or contents prior to purchase. Please Contact Us with any questions regarding item condition or contents of the listing.
Buyer is responsible for paying all related shipping and handling charges unless otherwise noted in the item description. Shipping costs are determined at checkout by zip code and by shipping method chosen. A nominal handling charge is included to cover the cost of packaging materials. If the buyer provides a PO Box, items are mailed through the U.S. Postal Service. Special shipping arrangements such as companies not listed, local pickup and freight services may be available upon request.
MSU Surplus Store ( www.msusurplusstore.com) ships to U.S. addresses only.