MSU Surplus Store Vehicle Sale Process
- COVID-19 Procedures
- Vehicle Posting & Pricing
- Vehicle Auctions
- Vehicle Inspections
- Vehicle Test Drives
- Vehicle Condition
- Vehicle Payment
- Vehicle Holds
- Bidder Declines to Purchase
- Additional Vehicle Sale Terms and Conditions
- Vehicle Test Drives Details
- Test Drive Directions
- Customers will be expected to follow current MSU policy for preventing the spread of COVID-19 by wearing facial coverings inside buildings and maintaining physical distancing where ever possible.
- Buyers will participate in a proxy-based auction (very similar to eBay's system) for the right to purchase the vehicle.
- Vehicles are available for inspection at the MSU Surplus Store once the auction for the vehicle has started but not for test drives.
- Customer will need to contact the MSU Surplus Store at 517-884-0605 to obtain access to vehicle for viewing.
- Vehicle test drives are only available to the auction’s high bidder after auction has ended.
- Vehicle test drives will follow a specific route on the MSU campus with MSU Surplus Store staff following in a separate vehicle.
- Vehicle test drives must be scheduled in advance with the MSU Surplus Store staff.
- Vehicle inspections and test drives are offered Monday through Friday from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The highest bidder has two business days to perform any inspections or test drive the vehicle and then provide payment.
- If a buyer declines to purchase the vehicle the next highest bidder is given the same opportunity to evaluate and purchase the vehicle at their high bid amount.
- Vehicles must be paid for by Certified Check made payable to “Michigan State University” or “MSU” or cash. Credit card payment will not be accepted.
Providing a safe environment for both customers and MSU Surplus Store employees is paramount and we are taking several steps to mitigate the risks to both through increased safety measures, increased cleaning and sanitation protocols and adjusting our operations at the guidance of the university, federal, state and local officials and public health agencies.
All MSU employees are following several safety guidelines, personal protective equipment, and physical distancing.
In addition, all customers will be expected to follow current MSU University established safety protocols while on the MSU campus including wearing facial coverings indoors.
Vehicles will be cleaned and disinfected on all touch surfaces after use. MSU Surplus Store employees will not be in the same vehicle with customers on test drives rather following behind in a separate vehicle.
Vehicle Posting & Pricing
All vehicles will be posted at msusurplusstore.com for auction for a period of at least three business days. Postings will include a description, a minimum bid amount and a deadline for submitting bids. Starting bid amount is based on NADA trade-in and loan values and/or past sold vehicle history.
Buyers will participate in a proxy-based auction for the right to purchase the vehicle offered over the auction period. At the conclusion of the auction the highest bidder has two business days to confirm their intention to purchase the vehicle, perform any inspections or test drives and then provide payment for the vehicle. In the event a buyer declines to purchase the vehicle the next highest bidder is given the same opportunity to evaluate and purchase the vehicle at their high bid amount.
Vehicles are available for inspection at the MSU Surplus Store once the auction for the vehicle has started. Customers interested in viewing and/or starting a vehicle should call the MSU Surplus Store (517-884-0605) to obtain access to the vehicle. Customer will need to provide a valid driver license to inspect the vehicle. Vehicles vehicle inspections are offered Monday through Friday from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Vehicle Test Drives
Vehicle test drives are only available to the winning bidder after the auction has ended. Vehicles may be test driven Monday through Friday from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and must be scheduled in advance with the MSU Surplus Store. Test drives are limited to 15 minutes and a specific route; a representative from the Surplus Store will follow in a separate vehicle. A valid Michigan driver's license must be presented.
Some vehicles may be deemed unsafe for test drive as determined by a designated Surplus Store staff member and will not be available for test drives. Mechanic inspections must occur at the MSU Surplus Store facility.
A disclaimer of warranty is provided in the General Terms and Conditions. For purposes of sale, vehicles are being sold by Michigan State University and originating department ownership will not be revealed.
Vehicles must be paid for by Certified Check made payable to “Michigan State University” or “MSU” or cash. Ccredit card payment will not be accepted.
All fees, taxes or other applicable charges are to be paid by the buyer and are made at the Michigan Secretary of State Office. Price does not include any taxes which may now or hereafter be applicable to, measured by, imposed upon, or with respect to transaction, property, its sale its value, its use or any service performed in connection therewith. Buyer agrees to pay such taxes.
If a vehicle does not sell through the auction process the vehicle is then offered for purchase at the minimum bid price. Vehicles are available on a first come first serve basis. Vehicles may be placed on hold for one business day. Only one vehicle per customer may be placed on hold. Vehicles may be placed on hold at 8:00 a.m. EST the day after the auction for the vehicle ends if there are no bids received during the auction. If bids are received through auction, but the bidder(s) decline to purchase the vehicle the vehicle is then posted for sale at the winning auction amount the following Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. after the bidder(s) have declined (may be more than one week after auction ends).
The MSU Surplus Store reserves the right to re-auction a vehicle if it is in the best interest of Michigan State University.
Bidder Declines to Purchase
Bidders who declines to purchase a vehicle at their bid amount are not prevented from participating in any following MSU Surplus Store auctions but are exempt from being able to purchase a vehicle if they participated in the auction and declined to purchase. If a vehicle is auctioned again for a new minimum bid price, bidders who placed bids on a previous auction may participate in new auction or place hold if the vehicle does not still through the auction.
Additional Vehicle Sale Terms and Conditions
Additional Vehicle Sale Terms and Conditions to be used in conjunction with the General Terms and Conditions:
Any vehicle may be removed from the sale process if it is determined to be in the best interest of MSU.
All vehicles must be removed from MSU property within two business days of sale completion. Failure to re-move the vehicle will result in daily storage charges. All storage charges must be paid in full prior to removal of sold vehicle.
At the time of completion of the Vehicle Sale, Buyer will be provided with the Buyer's Guide document for the specific vehicle, a generic copy of this form is available in PDF version at the following link: Buyer's Guide.
Under no circumstances does the MSU Surplus Store warrant sale vehicles. Buyer is responsible for all costs of all repairs and maintenance the vehicle requires. MSU Surplus Store assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements made about the vehicle.
By virtue of payment, Buyer acknowledges that they have been provided the opportunity, prior to completion of the Vehicle Sale, to have a pre-purchase inspection of the vehicle by a mechanic of Buyer’s choice on the MSU property where the vehicle is housed.
Buyer acknowledges that prior to completion of the Vehicle Sale and following completion and signature of the Vehicle Test Drive Agreement, Buyer has the option to test drive the vehicle. Buyer may only test drive the vehicle if Buyer is able to provide proof of a valid State of Michigan driver’s license.
The MSU Surplus Stores reserves the right to change or modify these terms and conditions without limitation, notice, or liability.
Vehicle Test Drives Details
- Customers need to call ahead to schedule a time to conduct a test drive after they have been declared the winning bidder.
- Customers need to provide a valid driver’s licenses and read and sign Surplus Store’s Vehicle Test Drive Agreement.
- A Surplus Store staff member will follow behind the customer in a separate vehicle.
- The test drive route will stay on the MSU campus and follow a prescribed route (see below).
- Upon returning to the Surplus Store, staff will wipe down/disinfect touch-points of both vehicles.
Test Drive Route
Test Drive Directions
- Head East onto Green Way towards Farm Lane
- Turn right at the first street Farm Lane heading south
- Turn right onto Forest Road
- Continue on Forest Road that becomes Collins Road
- Take Collins Road until the road ends into East Jolly Road
- Take a left East onto East Jolly Road
- Take East Jolly Road east 1.9 miles to Hagadorn Road
- Turn left onto north bound Hagadorn Road
- Continue till you reach Mt. Hope Road and turn left heading west
- Turn right onto north bound Farm Lane
- Take a left back onto Green Way to the west
- The MSU Surplus Store entrance drive will be immediately on your left